The Wednesday Social: Twitter Engagement
Well hello, Wednesday!
Welcome to this week’s social, where we’ll discuss big things happening in the social media space and/or responding to your requests…
On last week’s blog, we got the question of: How do we get engagement on Twitter? Oh, we love Twitter! If you’re not super into Twitter, or you need help understanding the value of spending time there, take a peek here for the basics and here for 4 reasons why you should love this social media platform.
Once you understand the basics, let’s discuss taking your activity a little further…
Best Twitter Practices
- Get creative! Write a variety of different tweets
- Schedule: Use Hootsuite or Sprout Social to pre-plan a calendar of content
- Create lists to generate feeds specific to your information needs
- Curate content from others
- STAY POSITIVE
- Underestimate the use of Twitter for customer service
- Go inactive
- Skip use of hashtags
- Forget to use Twitter’s tools: polls, gif keyboard, tags/comments
In efforts to really optimize Twitter, here are a few tips to encourage engagement with your followers…
- Look out for a conversation! You can start it, or you can join in
- Seek out Twitter Chats relevant to your industry, community, neighborhood, other
- Use Twitter’s tools to have fun: run a poll asking for feedback or use a fun gif to respond to someone’s question
- Use keyword search to monitor your online brand and engage people who didn’t tag you
- Look at your partners/competitors feeds to see who they are engaging with
- Schedule recurring messages that support your bio but you would forget to post regularly
- Look through hashtags relevant to your brand and/or community and join in the conversation
- Create your own “branded” hashtag and run a contest
- Write shareable content that your followers will identify with and share
- Reach out to the followers who engage most and ask for feedback
- Touch individual followers and ask for their specific input/response or repost them!
Other great Twitter resources:
5 Intriguing Twitter Case Studies via Our Social Times
Introducing an easier way to manage and report on Twitter Ads campaigns via Twitter
30 Twitter Ad Examples to Study Before Spending a Dime via Wordstream
How to Use Twitter Lists for Business via Social Media Examiner
Twitter is about more than just pushing out your own content. It’s about being engaging. Your followers are following you for a reason: indulge them! Curate content, ask questions, post content designed to share, and spend time designing a growth strategy.
DISCUSS: What’s your favorite account to follow on Twitter and why? What do they that gets you engaged?
We want to hear from you! Leave us a comment here or find us on the interwebs: @bwsocialco. See ya next week for another installment of The Wednesday Social and if you have any specific requests on what we should talk about, email us!