The Wednesday Social: Instagram vs. Snapchat
Well hello, Wednesday!
Welcome to this week’s social, where we’ll discuss big things happening in the social media space…
Let’s talk about what everyone else is talking about, and what we can’t stop thinking about: where should you be spending your energy? Snapchat or Instagram? With the launch of Instagram stories, the conversation has been interesting and has many sides. Do I re-commit to Instagram or should I stick with where I really want to be (Snapchat)?
First off, click here to see both apps side-by-side.
Our quick list of Pro’s + Cons of each….
- You already have a captive audience on Instagram
- You can post content that will stay, 60 second/better designed videos, for example
- You can plan ahead and market yourself/your brand
- It can be very time-consuming to plan for instagram
- FB (who owns insta) is slowing transforming instagram into a FB look-a-like. Algorithms and business profiles… sound familiar? Pretty soon, the platform will be pay-to-play just like FB. If you haven’t changed your profile to a business profile yet, we recommend you don’t
- Is it just us or are there too many bots to deal? But then again, why cultivate an authentic audience when you can buy followers? JK — hit us up if you want to learn some grassroots ways to connect + grow using social media
- It’s live, it’s fun, it’s real
- HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN THE BEE FILTER? You can even submit customized filters for events or to have fun with your brand
- No ads, and you can totally ignore the brands on there if you want
*Honorable mention: BITMOJI’s!
- It’s new and you might not have very many followers there yet; it’s hard to find people if you don’t have their username
- How do you connect with people you don’t know? It’s tough
- Content is gone in no time. “Memories” are cool, but they’re sort of a pain to get to and only you can see them
Other takes on this topic:
How to switch to a business profile via Business 2 Community
Business profiles on Instagram via Social Media Examiner
All of the ways Instagram stories and Snapchat stories are the same via The Verge
Why Snapchat should be very worried about Facebook’s latest move via Business Insider
Instagram Stories vs Snapchat in a Nutshell – What You Need to Know via Social Media Today
Who wins in our book? People were really upset about all the sponsored posts popping up in their feeds on Instagram; the stories application seems to have won many of those who have been disengaged back over. But really, will it be enough? We think as more and more ads come up, snapchat may slowly win the race. Why? Snapchat didn’t “sell out” to Facebook like Instagram and we’d LOVE to see someone truly compete in a way that keeps social media truly social, authentic and organic.
Outside of our personal interests, what we’ve learned from using social media marketing to support events, content, classes, brands, and well, everything… is that people want to have have an organic and authentic connection with their friends and favorite brands. Brands who can connect with people in real-time unique ways are the ones to have a lasting impact.
DISCUSS: Which app are you siding with and why? What do you think snapchat’s next move should/will be? What’s missing from all social media apps for YOU? Do you think there will be a new app to come out and fill the gap?
We want to hear from you! Leave us a comment here or find us on the interwebs: @bwsocialco. See ya next week for another installment of The Wednesday Social and if you have any specific requests on what we should talk about, email us!